Thursday 13 March 2014

270. I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls – Elina Garanca (1843 composed – recording 2010)


‘I Dreamt I Dwelt In Marble Halls’ is an aria from the 1843 Opera ‘The Bohemian Girl’ by Michael William Balfe and Alfred Bunn and was very popular in Victorian times when it was sung (around the piano) in the parlour.

I first came across it when I was a East 15 in the late eighties, when one of the students sang it as a ‘Foyer Song’. East 15 had a ‘Foyer Songs’ session every term where everyone was required to sing a solo (or sometimes a ‘duet’) in the Foyer in front of all of the other students regardless of one’s singing ability. A further twist was that you had to sing a song you found difficult (maybe the notes were a trifle too high or the breathing required a little tricky) so that it would not be an ‘easy ride’ for those who were good at singing and just breezed in, did a song they could do well and then breezed out again following rapturous applause.

Having heard this song it quickly became one of my favourites and I was thrilled to discover a version by Enya on her ‘Shepherd Moon’s’ album.

This version is a modern recording but true to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMaLhIbYJoM

No comments:

Post a Comment