Tuesday 11 March 2014

268. Miss You Nights – Cliff Richard (1976)


This song by Cliff Richard reminds me of my late mother who was one of Cliff’s biggest fans. Back in the 1970s Cliff toured the country annually and would play the De Montfort Hall in Leicester every year where my mother would go and see him.

As we got older she got into the habit of taking my brother and I along and I spent a number of years watching Cliff perform. On the basis that Cliff had been performing for donkeys’ years, by the time we went to see him, he had a set of tried and tested numbers, which he nearly always performed. I distinctly recall him saying ‘Every now and again a truly great song comes along, but until it does I’ll do one of Hank Marvin’s!’ as an introduction to ‘The Day I Met Marie’ and I have heard him use this introduction many times lives as well as on tv and various other live recordings!

This song however is a truly great song and with my mother and brother I have heard Cliff sing it many times. It was my mother’s favourite and she had it on a album and we listened to it regularly.

Every time I hear this song it reminds me of those concerts and my mother who I still miss very much. I know she would have loved to have seen my children.



No comments:

Post a Comment