Wednesday 12 March 2014

269. Spirits (Having Flown) – The BeeGees (1979)


I remember buying the ‘Spirits (Having Flown) album by the BeeGees in 1979 and loving the picture on the cover and the glorious red colour of the sleeve. In this day and age it is such a shame that we no longer have records as there is something about pulling a record out of the inner sleeve, putting it on the turntable, listening to the sound of the needle touch the record and then the wonderful music that comes out the speakers. It is such a shame that my children will not know this pleasure and hear music in this way.

I loved this song at the time and played it endlessly and in a moment of nostalgia I downloaded it to my ipod and then added it to a playlist that we listened to in the car on our family days out. After I played it for the first time, my two year old son, Rupert, said ‘Again!’ and we had to play it again and again and again. Every time we got in the car he insisted we had ‘The BeeGees’ and so this song has become one which I will now never disassociate from my lovely baby, driving to and from the beach on sunny summer days as well as with my own youth and early love of music and the harmonies of the Gibb brothers.


No comments:

Post a Comment